October 2009 – Presently there are thirteen organizations active in building the coalition. Their profiles will be posted soon.
BASS PRO SHOPS
In 1971 young Johnny Morris, frustrated by the lack of tackle in local stores, rented a U-Haul trailer and took off across the country filling it with the newest premium fishing tackle he could find.
When he returned home to Springfield, Missouri, Johnny started in the fishing business with eight feet of space in his dad’s liquor store which became a popular stopping-off place for local and out-of-state fishermen on the way to the Ozark’s famous bass lakes.
A number of these anglers started calling when they got back home wanting Johnny to send them some of his specialized Bass Pro Shops tackle. In 1974, in response to this demand, he printed and mailed his first Bass Pro Shops catalog. Today, outdoor enthusiasts around the world look forward to opening the mail and getting their favorite Bass Pro Shops catalog, while many enjoy visiting and shopping basspro.com.
In 1978, Johnny introduced the first professionally rigged boat, motor and trailer fish-ready package. The Bass Tracker boat “package” revolutionized the marine industry. Huge boat showrooms are featured in every Bass Pro Shops store.
Bass Pro Shops today isn’t just fishing. It is an outdoor retail leader in hunting, camping, nature gifts, outdoor cooking, and much more.
From that simple beginning, Bass Pro Shops has become one of America’s premier outdoor retailers with destination outdoor retail stores across America and Canada, serving over 75 million sportsmen a year. Each store is unique and offers a truly unforgettable shopping experience – as close to the Great Outdoors as you can get indoors!
For more than 40 years, BASS has served as the authority on bass fishing. The organization advances the sport through advocacy, outreach and its expansive tournament structure while championing efforts to connect directly with the passionate community of bass anglers through its Bassmaster media vehicles.
As the flagship offering of ESPN Outdoors, the Bassmaster brand and its considerable multimedia platforms are guided by a mission to serve all fishing fans. Through its industry-leading publications Bassmaster Magazine, BASS Times and Fishing Tackle Retailer; comprehensive Web properties in Bassmaster.com, BASSInsider.com, ESPNOutdoors.com and ESPN360.com; and ESPN2 television programming, Bassmaster provides rich, leading-edge content true to the lifestyle.
BASS oversees the prestigious Bassmaster tournament trail, which includes the Bassmaster Elite Series, Bassmaster Opens, Academy Sports + Outdoors Bassmaster Women’s Tour, BASS Federation Nation and the ultimate celebration of competitive fishing, the Bassmaster Classic.
BASS offers an array of services to its more than 500,000 members while spearheading progressive, positive change on issues related to conservation and water access. The organization is headquartered in Celebration, Fla.
South Florida Anglers For Everglades Restoration (SAFER) is an association of local bass clubs from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, who have joined together to protect the rights of all recreational fishermen from the encroachment on our fishing grounds by the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP).
- It is our goal to maintain the viability of the Everglades canal system as the great fishery it has been for decades, and to assure accessibility to these waters by all recreational fishermen;
- To enhance the fishing opportunities we now have;
- To create new fishing opportunities for future generations to enjoy
In order to accomplish this goal, we must:
- Promote the concept of “Restoration with Recreation” to the government agencies involved in the MWD, Decomp, and CERP process.
- Increase public awareness of the ramifications of the CERP, in general, and of the threat to recreational fishing in the canals, in particular.
- Promote an alternative to the backfilling of the canals in western Dade County, as called for in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Decompartmentalization and Sheetflow Enhancement Project (DECOMP).
- Promote good public policy through an intensive lobbying effort of all concerned government agencies, and elected/appointed officials.
- Continue to develop lines of communication with the environmental community, with the hope of overcoming the mutual distrust which, in the past, has characterized the relationship between our organizations, and the differing perspectives on how to protect the habitat, while allowing for a variety of recreational activities.
Al Ovies – President, Rick Perrson V.P. Visit SAFER online Website